When your roof is old and in need of major repairs, you might be better served to install a new replacement roof. While you could use the same asphalt roof shingles as before, why not take this opportunity to go with a different roofing material? Those with older homes or traditional architectural designs can give their property a beauty-lift with attractive cedar shake roofing from American Custom Contractors.
Why Get Cedar Shake Roofing?
There are many reasons to use cedar shakes on your property. This beautiful material adds a traditional look to a Cape Cod or rustic-style home. The wood is also naturally pest and mold resistant, while easily sloughing rainwater off the roof. Cedar also lasts for a long time, multiple decades, when installed properly. There are some cases when Cedar shingles have deteriorated more quickly than expected, but this is usually due to the use of ‘Builders-Grade’ over ‘Bureau-Certified’ cedar shakes.
What are Bureau-Certified Shakes?
These are shingles and shakes that feature the Certi-label from the Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau (CSSB), a non-profit organization that is involved in maintaining the quality of Cedar roofing installation and siding. They have strict requirements for the type of Cedar wood and cuts used, and procedures that roofing contractors must follow during installation. The CSSB also requires that manufacturers and installers of their Certi-label products provide a limited lifetime warranty to help cover homeowner’s investments in their new roofs!
The Many Advantages of Cedar
Homeowners on the East Coast will not only love the look of their Cedar roofing, they will also enjoy the many advantages that come with this material. It is a natural product that offers functional and aesthetically pleasing features, including:
- Cedar starts out an attractive pale red color and turns silvery-gray as it ages.
- Wood provides extra insulation to keep your home temperatures more comfortable year-round.
- Cedar is one of the strongest woods, which makes your roof stronger too!
- Cedar also accepts stains and sealants very well, if you want to preserve that reddish shade.
- It can be chemically treated to make it fire-resistant and fungus-resistant.
- It’s also naturally wind-resistant and resistant to damaging UV rays.
- Cedar resists curling, warping, splitting, and shrinking, especially when you pick a high-quality CSSB product!
If you are considering a new roofing installation for your home in Maryland, Virginia, or Washington, D.C., American Custom Contractors can help. Give us a phone call to find out more about the many roofing products we offer, including cedar shakes. Or, you can fill out our online form to request your easy, free price estimate for a replacement roof.